The truth is, sometimes finding motivation is the hardest part of working out. There are so many barriers that we face when beginning our fitness journey, and even more when we’re trying to stick to it. Firstly, this is completely normal. Anyone who says that they’ve never faced some form of gym anxiety, is either lying or superhuman. The important thing to remember is that once you start showing up for yourself, the rest will follow. These things take time, so if you don’t get it right the first time, use what you’ve learned to try again and keep doing that until you’re where you want to be. Progress isn’t linear and neither is confidence, it’s about trial and error, starting and stopping and most importantly making yourself a priority. Let’s talk all things gym anxiety, and what might be stopping you from smashing your next workout.
What does it mean to feel anxious when working out? This feeling extends beyond the realms of the gym; it’s easy to feel intimidated even when playing sports or joining an exercise class.
What triggers gym anxiety?
- Fear that others will judge or think negatively about you.
- Concerns about your fitness level or ability.
- Worries about your physical appearance.
- Limited knowledge e.g., scary equipment.
If you can see yourself in this list, you’re definitely not alone. But what can you do about it?
Show up for yourself
Health and fitness look different to everyone. There’s no such thing as the ‘right’ way to exercise. The key is to find something you enjoy, and motivation will follow. The gym isn’t for everyone, so if it doesn’t appeal to you, there’s hundreds of types of workouts you can try to help you fall back in love with exercise.
This Girl Can Classes are a great way to try different exercise styles to ease your way in and try something new.
Be kind to yourself
Don’t put pressure on yourself or set too many expectations. Start by putting time aside and build up to a routine that works for you. This Girl Can Classes are perfect for creating a positive rhythm and our community of like-minded women are always there to cheer you on. Here’s a few things to bear in mind if you’re considering booking a class with us…
- We’re a beginner’s class. Our classes are for those looking to get into exercise for the first time, or after a break. Whether you get the moves right or get them… less right… we just want to see you moving!
- Rome wasn’t built in a day. This Girl Can Classes will support you to build confidence and fitness levels at your own pace. Take breaks whenever you need to!
- We’re all in this together. Everyone will be a bit nervous, but we’re all in the same boat.
- Who cares? Two left feet or zero rhythm? Getting it wrong is half the fun.
Are you ready to hit gym anxiety where it hurts? Join the movement and spread your wings, exercise is for everybody and we’re here to help you build a routine that you can enjoy. Head here to book a class near you today!